Why use Power Apps & What is Power Apps?
Do you want to put information at users’ fingertips on mobile devices without IT involvement? Wish to provide data regardless of the location? Want to simplify cloud data integration into business processes?
PowerApps is the answer! In 2022, it neared its 7th anniversary. Despite its age, the tool still holds a unique spot in the enterprise world. Unlike cloud-based productivity applications, users don’t need dedicated devices to access PowerApps.
Furthermore, data processing and automation help business users access multiple data sources and conditionally execute formulas within apps.
What is PowerApps?
PowerApps is a Microsoft application that helps create data-driven iOS, Android, and Web apps. It is the new way to create custom-made data solutions for better decision-making, secure business processes, and employee engagement.
It ensures that all is done without being an expert in line-of-business systems and programming languages. Some companies using PowerApps are Equinox, American Airlines Group, and Discovery Toys UK.
PowerApps lets users create a wide range of business apps without writing code, including:
- Dashboard apps — These easy-to-use templates allow us to view and interact with data from multiple sources in one place. For example, a dashboard app displays the company’s sales revenue and expenses over time.
- List apps — These create lists of items that can be viewed differently. For example, building an app that displays the team’s most recent sales activity or upcoming meetings on one page.
- Forms — They collect data from end users using drop-down menus and other fields that appear on the screen. We can then use this data in other parts of PowerApps or send it to other applications such as SharePoint Online or Dynamics 365 Business Central.
- Charts — They visualize data in different ways, so it’s easier for users to understand what’s happening at a glance.
How do PowerApps Work?
Anyone can use PowerApps – there’s no need for developers, IT teams, or even coding skills. With the help of PowerApps’ intuitive user interface, you can start creating apps within minutes and then publish them on iOS and Android devices.
It helps connect data and automate processes. We have multiple data sources together in one app. The PowerApps platform consists of three main components:
- The PowerApps application (for Windows, Mac, or mobile). The app builder quickly builds simple forms that can be created in just a few clicks. This makes it easy for anyone to build apps without writing code.
- A data connector for connecting data sources, such as SharePoint, Dynamics 365, or Salesforce (available in public preview). We can connect the existing data sources like SharePoint Online and SQL Server databases into apps – to avoid recreating all the data entry processes from scratch!
- A template gallery with over 100 pre-built apps can be used as the starting point for app development. We can also generate reports based on the data collected from these forms (e.g., sales data).
Why use Power Apps?
PowerApps are a new way to build applications that can be used by IT and non-IT users. These applications are made with Microsoft tools and run on Azure, making them easy to scale, secure, and upgrade.
It works with many pre-built templates, or we can start from scratch with HTML5 code. PowerApps can be integrated with other Microsoft products like SharePoint and OneDrive and third-party services like Salesforce and Google Drive.
PowerApps is for people who want to create custom business applications without having to learn technical programming languages or hire developers. If we have an idea for an app but need to know where to start, PowerApps could be the solution. They’re also perfect for businesses that need a simple way to share information across the organization or with partners or customers.
PowerApps supports one-off and multi-user enterprise apps that can be shared with others in the organization. We can also connect to data sources like Salesforce and Dynamics 365 to not worry about building a back-end infrastructure.
PowerApps can create low-code applications available on iOS, Android, and Windows devices; desktop apps that run on Windows PCs; and web apps that can be accessed from any browser anywhere in the world!
Benefits of PowerApps
Apps created by PowerApps are cloud-connected, cross-platform mobile apps that we sign up for and connect to our data sources with a user-friendly interface, customizing, and sharing.
Here are just some of the benefits of using PowerApps:
- Share information with others —Create an app that gives the team access to the information when they need it. For example, create an app that pulls in data from multiple sources so everyone can access the same information at all times.
- Make decisions faster —Give employees access to real-time data and insights through custom UI in apps so they can make smarter decisions faster.
- Eliminate manual processes —Create a custom app that automates repetitive tasks like expense reports, employee onboarding, and offboarding. This allows employees to focus on higher-value work while saving time and money for the organization.
- Stay connected – Apps can connect with dozens of popular cloud services like Salesforce, Box and Office 365, SharePoint lists, OneDrive accounts, and over 100 other web services via Microsoft Graph API. This means the data never has to leave its original location — it just gets pulled into the app, where we can do whatever we want!
- Accessibility on multiple devices- PowerApps works across Windows 10 devices (including mobile phones and tablets), iOS devices (iPhone, iPad), and Android devices so that users can access apps from anywhere at any time. We can also access PowerApps from the browser without installing anything on the device first.
Ultimately, PowerApps is a great tool for any business that wants to open up its data to make it more accessible to its employees.
Get in touch with one of our Power Apps Consultants to find out how Power Apps can help you connect your existing applications to build brilliant decision-making dashboards and automate processes.
We can help you make data more accessible. We can also provide free consultation on why to use power apps to increase productivity in your organisation.